[X3D-Public] [x3d-public] model/x3d+xml is not registered

Joe D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Sat May 7 14:44:05 PDT 2011

> >> the type is not currently registered in the IANA media type
> >> registry,

There may be a few issues here.

First, you want your server to serve the approriate mime for the file
suffix. .
This is important because the X3D browser typically claims various
mime(s) association with the file suffix(es).

1. the mime model/x3d+xml is working fine for browsers that register
the type at installation, then click or embed .x3d file plays as
expected..
2. the mime model/x3d+vrml is held due to registration doesn't like
the + symbol.
3. the mime model/x3d-vrml is in limbo.
4. the utf-8 character encoding now allows an optional utf-8 BOM while
X3D VRML Classic encoding and legacy VRML expects only the # symbol as
the first character..
This buzzed the html browsers for a while but now they all accept the
optional utf-8 BOM. I'm not sure how each X3D browser handles the
optional utf-8 BOM.

So, learn what the X3D browser claims at installation then tell your
server to serve the files with the appropriate mime.

Guidance is currently at:

http://www.web3d.org/x3d/learn/mimetypes/

and at:

http://www.web3d.org/x3d/specifications/OLD/ISO-IEC-19776-1-X3DEncodings-XML/Part01/concepts.html#FileExtensionAndMIMETypes

In general when serving the file with a mime type not recognized and
matched with a file suffix may cause a simple load rather than a load
and execute. I think the advantage of having the mime "Registered"
officially is then the server configuration may handle server updates
'automatically' from the official list instead of you creating the
.htaccess file manually on your server.

Good Luck and All the Best,
Joe