[X3D-Public] Smithsonian X 3D

Cecile Muller newsletter at wildpeaks.fr
Wed Nov 13 14:28:14 PST 2013

Good evening everyone,

I asked them about it on Twitter earlier, but while it's a very cool
initiative,
unfortunately X3D is not a reference to our file format indeed, that's just
how
they named their service.

The downloadable files are in various laser scan formats and their WebGL
viewer
(http://3d.si.edu/sites/all/themes/charter/js/ccexplorer.min.js) seems to
use
a custom format serving mesh data as base64-encoded binary wrapped in JSON,
example:
http://3d.si.edu/sites/default/files/assets/proxy/426/CC17-Hat-Mesh.json

See you,
Cecile