[X3D-Public] [x3dom-developers] X3D's JSON Encoding - who can work on X3DOM loader?

Nicholas Polys npolys at vt.edu
Wed Oct 8 07:03:23 PDT 2014

Thanks to the X3D WG for looking into this!

It sounds like Johannes has some design experience and suggestions....?
I did some searching on json X3DOM for examples and existing work:

http://www.x3dom.org/x3dom/test/regression-suite/node_modules/request/node_modules/json-stringify-safe/

http://www.x3dom.org/x3dom/test/regression-suite/node_modules/selenium-webdriver/lib/goog/json/

http://jsfiddle.net/jcarlile/9U7Bf/

XML3D fyi
http://xml3d.github.io/xml3d-examples/
http://xml3d.github.io/xml3d-examples/examples/suzanne/suzanne.html

with best regards,

 _nicholas

On Sun, Oct 5, 2014 at 9:02 PM, Don Brutzman <brutzman at nps.edu> wrote:

> [cc: x3d-public, come one come all!]
>
> With completion of the X3D SAI bindings and appendices, am now preparing
> to re-look at the X3D JSON challenge.
>
> It appears that I can use similar XSLT conversion methods to turn an .x3d
> file into a .json scene graph. The design pattern appears to be reasonably
> straightforward.  I hope to be autoconverting a few thousand .x3d scenes
> shortly thereafter.
>
> Wondering, as that emerges, is there an X3D .json loader that could be
> written for X3DOM to test it?  Wondering, who is familiar enough with the
> X3DOM codebase to use or adapt that?
>
> Am happy to work with anyone who wants to pursue this interesting
> challenge.  It would be great to have progress in motion for the VR
> Hackathon.  Two weeks away, 17-19 OCT.  Check out the cool new site:
>
>         http://vrhackathon.com
>
> On 8/20/2014 10:04 PM, Leonard Daly wrote:
>
>> The JSON encoding of X3D generated a lot of interest and discussion.
>> This is the initial start of developing the encoding. Based on a message
>> from Don in July
>> (http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2014-July/002854.html -
>> "x3d to json experiments & links of interest"), I have started a
>> Community Wiki page
>> (http://www.web3d.org/wiki/index.php/X3D_JSON_Encoding) to continue the
>> discussion and resolve the issues.
>>
>> Please keep the numbering of the elements in the 'Conversion Issues'
>> section so that we can cross-reference the entries.
>>
>> I did not include specific comments from the follow up, but did try to
>> include the issues. Please feel free to contribute to the page. If you
>> add your opinion to one of the issues, please prefix it with your
>> initials and make sure you have an entry in the 'Contributors' section.
>> If you are running into issues editing the page, please contact me (not
>> the list).
>>

> When it is all working, we then expect to write a formal specification
> document for the encoding to ensure that code and content remains stable.
>
> http://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3dSpecificationRelationships.png
>
> Having even more fun with X3D + JSON soon, I hope...

> brutzman at nps.edu
> Watkins 270,  MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA
> +1.831.656.2149
> X3D graphics, virtual worlds, navy robotics http://faculty.nps.edu/
> brutzman

Nicholas F. Polys, Ph.D.

Director of Visual Computing
Virginia Tech Research Computing

Affiliate Professor
Virginia Tech Department of Computer Science