[x3d-public] Cesium Version 1.20 Released; possible adaptation, perhaps as GeoEngine/GeoGlobe approach for X3D?

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Tue Apr 5 17:10:36 PDT 2016

a. Wondering if anyone has done a comparison of X3D Geospatial to Cesium javascript tool, perhaps there are lessons to be learned?

	http://cesiumjs.org/2016/04/01/Cesium-version-1.20-released/

Also wondering:

b. might Cesium be used for geospatial backdrop within X3DOM or Cobweb to augment an X3D scene?

c. of course a variety of carefully engineered globes and map layers are prevalent, and often they carry license requirements that people might want to use (because they paid for a license).   might we think of an extension mechanism for X3D that allows an author to specify acceptable/preferred engine(s) for a geospatial scene?  this would open the door for X3D players to then support them.

GeoEngine or GeoGlobe node perhaps?  Might be implementable today via a X3D prototype node with a contained JavaScript script, which in turn calls CesiumJS (or OpenLayers or whatever).

Not sure if these are possible, but are certainly worth considering as we continue to advance X3D content.