[x3d-public] [x3dom-developers] layering component on the web, multiple scenes

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 13:37:27 PST 2016

The x3dom component editor uses this concept:

http://examples.x3dom.org/editor/component_editor/

The orientation indicator in the upper right and the coordinate axes in the
lower left corners are additional x3d scenes composited on top of the main
scene, all within a <div>. Use the FF object inspector to find the <canvas>
elements and play with the styles including positioning.

So this concept is already implemented. The idea is that you can use CSS
positioning directly on the canvas element; there is no need to wrap each
canvas into a <div>. A <div> enclosing all x3d scenes allows for managing
this set of x3d scenes relative to other page content and the page
geometry. Declaring the X3D node as a <canvas> like html5 element (in a web
page context) would just formalize this use within the spec., and imply
that the x3d element has the same CSS style properties as canvas.
"Inheriting" or "Deriving" from canvas may not be quite the correct
language since html5 may not have such concepts.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Glossary/Canvas

has more.

I was hoping that one of the Behr et al. publications on the x3dom concept:

http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2010440
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1836049.1836077&coll=DL&dl=GUIDE&CFID=112886399&CFTOKEN=73403994&preflayout=flat
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1559764.1559784&coll=DL&dl=GUIDE&CFID=112886399&CFTOKEN=73403994&preflayout=flat

talks about this aspect of web integration but could not immediately find a
relevant paragraph. This is why the x3dom-developer list is cc'ed.

CSS object positioning and transformation can be slow but typically you
would not have a lot of scenes (canvases) and would not frequently or at
all change their positions/sizes. CSS for other x3d nodes is another issue
which would require more in depth separation of styling and content within
x3d (so likely not really an option anymore).

Fixed HUD text is probably the main use case. The "+" HUD example was meant
as an example for general text as well. Text on a web page generally would
be best rendered just as html text. The point is one can overlay any kind
of html5 content.

cobweb overlays over x3dom rendering is also in theory already possible but
currently not supported because of how cobweb and x3dom would fight over
the right to parse/interprete/render the same <x3d> element. Changing the
cobweb <x3d> use into <x3durl> or something should help with that and would
be more standard conforming as well. (Be aware then that cobweb uses eval()
to implement the x3d script node which will allow access to anything on the
web page from a x3d script, and likely total browser crashes/freezes).

Andreas

--
Andreas Plesch
39 Barbara Rd.