[x3d-public] X3D V4.0 beta?

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Sat Mar 19 20:46:22 PDT 2016

On 3/19/2016 7:32 PM, John Carlson wrote:
> Is it possible to get an advanced X3D V4.0 beta XML schema and X3D JSON schema, with class and id attributes (assuming they are going to be added and are defined similar to HTML?).

Active draft XML Schema and XML DTD for X3D v4.0 are online at the usual locations.

	http://www.web3d.org/specifications

Attributes for class are already present in all versions.

Attributes DEF and USE have XML data types ID and IDREF respectively.

Nobody has proposed an attribute 'id' yet.  It would be good to begin listing reasons to do so, if there are any.

JSON Schema v3.3 is current work created manually by Roy Walmsley.  When we are all comfortable with the design patterns, autogenerating such a schema for all X3D versions is certainly feasible.  Of note is that definitions of JSON Schemas themselves are not authoritative yet, we are currently using the latest (expired) RFC draft 4.

> Is this a difficult or major change? Or should I run without a schema for a while?

Since the differences are currently minimal, I think you could use the X3D v3.3 JSON Schema for v4.0 (or other versions) if need be.  However be sure to carefully label any such v4 scenes as experimental in case some one belatedly finds them someday with usual expectations of reliability.