[x3d-public] MFString quoting [was: interesting sample] JSON escaping example

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Wed Apr 26 19:30:23 PDT 2017

On 4/26/2017 4:02 PM, yottzumm at gmail.com wrote:
> I do have a problem with the JSON encoding for the attached file (translated by X3dToJson.xslt).  Let me know if you think otherwise.  Look at all the \\\\\.

i suspect the issue is illustrated by the following SFString within an MFString

	X3D  "quote mark  \"  is ""
	JSON "empty string \\\\\"\\\\\" skips a line:",

will try to break it down.

double-backslash escaping going on here for JSON; so internal content-only correspondences should likely be

	[X3D ]	\
	[JSON]	\\

	[X3D ]	"
	[JSON]	\"

	[X3D ]	\"
	[JSON]	\\\"

	[X3D ]	quote mark  \"  is "
	[JSON]	quote mark \\\" is "

please count.  does that look right?

if so, then it looks like the X3dToJson.xslt is overzealously prepending 2 extra backslashes in this particular case (one of several).

if not, then please advise what the right answer is.

also please re-advise, where are the JSON backslash-related rules?

if we can agree on what the right answer looks like, then i will dive back into the independently XML/XSLT/XPath escaped (and obtw recursive) stylesheet template that consumes/produces this stuff to try doing the job correctly.  (gulp!)

p.s. if anyone out there isn't dizzy yet, congrats!