[x3d-public] motivations and potential renaming of OM4X3D as X3D Unified Object Model (X3DUOM)

Leonard Daly Leonard.Daly at realism.com
Tue Aug 22 12:16:36 PDT 2017

I am going to reply to this in pieces with the subject identified in the
subject. I don;t have time to address this all at once.

My concern is not with the name, but it's acronym. The Consortium
already has one that looks and sounds very close to your proposed one.
Confusion in the marketplace or eyes & ears of users is never good. This
is especially important since "X", "3", "O", and "M" stand for the same
words in both labels.

My point with time-limited is the Consortium resources are time limited.
It cannot demand/request more time than its volunteers are able or
willing to provide. In this case having two separate items with nearly
the same name will require an education campaign by the Consortium to
make it clear to everyone that (1) there is a difference, (2) the
difference is important, and (3) what the difference is.

I have no issue if someone who is affiliated with the Consortium wishes
to develop a product (not necessarily something you hold or pay for)
that has a conflicting name AND that person takes on the entire
education effort separate and apart from the Consortium. That person
should say that [s]he is doing it for the Consortium or use Consortium
resources (mostly people). The Consortium needs to decide where to
invest their resources.

Leonard Daly

--
*Leonard Daly*