[x3d-public] Mantis issue 976: Implicit fields in Classic VRMLencoding

Yves Piguet yves.piguet at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 08:02:57 PDT 2017

John,

I'm more interested in interactive accurate behavior based on physical/technical models than in photorealistic scenes. It isn't a matter of learning authoring tools. I want to push boundaries further.

JSON doesn't support comments natively, nor multiline text. The X3D JSON encoding emulates comments with existing JSON constructs and multiline scripts with arrays, iirc. I don't find that pretty, but I guess it's ok for an exchange format which usually remains hidden. Imo the JSON encoding is conceptually much closer to XML than classical.

Our export support is more to validate our import implementations, to check roundtrip. I know JSON is easy to generate, we do it from internal js structures. We actually really write x3dv/i by hand. You can check the source code of https://calerga.com/vr/servo.html if you're interested.

I hope you don't mean that the classical encoding is abandoned.

Yves