[x3d-public] X3D Semantic Web discussion minutes, 20 DEC 2018

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Thu Dec 20 10:27:00 PST 2018

Meeting 2, 20 DEC 2018.  Attendees: Athanasios, Jakub, Don.

[Shall we number meeting bullets for each meeting?  For example, this meeting is 2.1, 2.2 etc.]

2.1. Athanasios drafted a slideset to help guide our discussions.  This was very fruitful.

Athanasios Malamos has invited you to edit the following presentation:
Semantic X3D
I think its a good idea to have a common whiteboard to sketch our thoughts.
Here I am trying to structure a catalog of requirements and solutions in 3D scene semantics. You may work on this presentation applying your thoughts.
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1fCMu0V-zRAfJqFId7QIMyLh2EOCr5Qgl63MqqyFk6JM/edit?ts=5c1aa2af#slide=id.p

We got a lot of good progress together.  Thanos invites further collaboration.

2.2.  We took a good look at Leslie's most impressive website.

	3D Modeling Ontology
	http://3dontology.org

We are hoping that an upcoming meeting might be scheduled when Leslie might present.

Of potential assistance is that Don will be in Seoul time zone for Korea Chapter meeting 21-25 JAN.  Perhaps we could meet Sunday 20 JAN? afternoon (Poland, Crete) and evening (Australia, Korea)?

3. Thanos showed us some amazing work demonstrating visual queries at

	3D R-tree for X3DOM Scenes
	http://www.medialab.teicrete.gr/minipages/3DRtree/index.html

Wow!  A lot is here.  Suggestion: perhaps record a demo video and we post it online!

On 12/13/2018 10:16 AM, Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) wrote:
> We had a call to discuss the draft X3D Semantic Web working group preparations.  Many things are coming together for the new year.  8)
>
> 1. Attendees: Jakub Flotynski, Athanasios Malamos, Don Brutzman.  Planned followup with Leslie Sikos.
>
> 2. Status: our draft charter and draft working group page have been submitted to Web3D Board of Directors for review.  We hope to get responses (and hopefully guidance for approval) in early January 2019.
>
> 3. Website. We reviewed details on these draft pages.
>
> * X3D Semantic Web Working Group
>           http://www.web3d.org/x3d-semantic-web-working-group
>
> * X3D Semantic Web Working Group Charter
>           http://www.web3d.org/x3d-semantic-web-working-group-charter
>
> Please note that if any web3d url has the term "members" in it, that means you must login using your Web3D Consortium member account.  Otherwise no, the url is public (like the pages above).

> Now added to the draft charter as a request for when the work is approved.
>
> 5. Jakub has prepared a very interesting site with a huge number of references.
>
> 	http://semantic3d.org
> 	http://semantic3d.org/publications
>
> We considered how to best start collecting and saving references and presentations of interest.  Poznan University will continue to build additional references for their project, and also how the working group shares knowledge.  Web3D has excellent infrastructure which we can use, but it also always good to build on successful approaches.  So, how to best proceed?
>
> Everyone please think about this point.  We will discuss further next week.  To be fully effective, I expect we will need someone in the working group who accepts the responsibility for curating these important assets.
>
> 6. To get the discussion started, Thanos will present some of his X3D semantics work next week with a focus on project achievements, lessons learned, and what semantic aspects seem to be missing from X3D.
>
> We will also spend some time to consider
> - how to archive and share the many reference materials that are expected,
> - tentative schedule of upcoming presentations in 2019
>
> 7. Next year, once approved, we will prepare an announcement about the working group that includes information about each of our projects.
> [...]

Next meeting: we plan to meet together at the same time in 2 weeks, Thursday 3 JAN 2019.  We will continue meeting weekly.

	http://www.web3d.org/calendar/month/2019-01

Wishing everyone a wonderful holiday and a happy New Year.  Having fun semantically with X3D!  8)