[x3d-public] Effects of scrunching all VRMLscript in a Script into a single line, X_ITE.

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 09:57:20 PST 2018

One (fatal) issue with just merging all lines into a single line are
caused by ecmascript single line comments:

// helpful explanation
var radius1 = outerRadius - toothDepth / 2;

versus

// helpful explanation var radius1 = outerRadius - toothDepth / 2; ...

which never evaluates radius1.

If all comments would be replaced by multiline commenting  as in /*
helpful explanation */ , the single script line may work (if all lines
are carefully terminated by semicolons which is not required in many
situations in ecmascript:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Lexical_grammar#Automatic_semicolon_insertion
, https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/12/javascript_technical_group_semicolons/).

It is definitely safest (and probably unavoidable) to preserve line
breaks in the json.

X_ITE itself cannot really do much more than eval the provided script as is.

-Andreas

On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 11:23 AM, John Carlson <yottzumm at gmail.com> wrote:
> Holger, can you look at X_ITE to see the effect of scrunching all the
> VRMLScript in a Script into a single line?  I’m having issues with that
> right now, with JSON.  Thanks!

Andreas Plesch
Waltham, MA 02453