[x3d-public] Suggestion for enhancement to X3DUOM; default accessType value for field statement

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Fri Apr 12 11:12:44 PDT 2019

On 4/11/2019 3:00 PM, John Carlson wrote:
> Provide a default accessType value for the field statement.   This will help us get pass accessType = None failures in Python.

Good suggestion.  However if we look at both X3D XML schema and X3D DTD, you can see that this value is required but no default is provided.

This means that the author must define what the right value is.

Motivation: field accessType is very powerful.  Silently inserting an incorrect value can easily lead to all manner of pathological problems that might be fiendishly hard to detect/decipher/sleuth and correct.

Recommended approach: if no field accessType is found in the X3D model, it is incorrect and needs to be reported as such.  Further compilation is undesirable, execution is not recommended.

> Also suggest that we create a kwargs loop in the constructors, so only actual keyword value that are there are pulled out of kwargs, and other values aren’t attempted. But I’m not sure it matters.

"creativity is punished"  :0

> What is a suggested default accessType that I can use as a work around?

see above

> Thanks,
>
> John

likewise  8)