[x3d-public] Requirement for v4. one X3D element per Frame

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 11:31:14 PST 2019

The reason for the X_CITE X3DCanvas wrapper around the X3D element was
that the X3D element is already defined by the XML encoding but
additional attributes and styling was needed. Also it makes it clear
that the X3D content on the page is shown using a HTML canvas element.

It is true that X3D is not concerned about how to make sure that scene
access occurs to the intended X3D browser (window, X3DCanvas or X3D
element, iframe). It is up to the system using a X3D browser.
Generally that should be not a problem since the system wanting to
access a X3D browser, is the same system that creates the X3D browser
in question and therefore has a way to remember a reference to that
X3D browser. The system may be a human or a machine.

If the system creates multiple browsers, it still knows which browsers
it created. For example, it could add an unique 'id' attribute to each
X3D element to help it remember the browsers. Or it could use
document.querySelectorAll('X3D')[index] to select a browser by their
order on the web page.

Probably I am missing something,

-Andreas