[x3d-public] X3DOM release plans?

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Sun Mar 3 13:44:32 PST 2019

X3DOM leadership: please advise when X3DOM dev branch is likely to be released.

	Get X3DOM
	Current Stable Release
	Version: 1.7.2, December 19, 2016
	https://www.x3dom.org/nodes

X3DOM and X_ITE are sample implementations for achieving the X3Dv4 specification and thus very important to many many people.

	X3D Version 4
	http://www.web3d.org/x3d4

Current X3D working-group efforts have made excellent progress on glTF compatibility for physically based rendering and lighting models.  We are now taking a close look at event routing between an X3D scene and an encompassing HTML5 page.  We hope to determine whether the architecture for content definition is sufficiently straightforward to be defined in additional sections of the existing ISO/IEC 19775-1 X3D Architecture and ISO/IEC 19775-2 X3D Scene Access Interface (SAI).  In that manner we hope to avoid the potential burden and delay of needing a future 19775-3 specification.

If there are significant gaps preventing an X3DOM release, please advise so that the larger X3D community might discuss and consider how to improve them.  The X3D Working Group and the Web3D Consortium are always happy to encourage further participation in X3DOM development efforts.  Compatible co-development matching shared priorities that assists in consensus building thus has particularly great value.

Relevant email excerpts follows.  Thanks for all efforts with X3DOM.

[x3d-public] X3D meeting minutes 1 MAR 2019: X3Dv4 architecture and event-exchange diagrams, progress review
http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2019-March/010203.html

> > > d. X3DOM is still missing some important/simple Event Utility nodes - is there a problem?
> >
> > Here are the currently implemented event utility nodes:
> >
> > https://github.com/x3dom/x3dom/tree/master/src/nodes/EventUtilities
> >
> > I can help if any are missing or misbehaving but I am not aware of any. Only the dev version has the nodes.
> > So perhaps we just need to deploy dev versions, and update status spreadsheet?
>
>  X3D Node Inventory Comparison (updated 23 December 2017) shows
>  implementation coverage of the X3D Abstract Specification
>
>  http://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3dNodeInventoryComparison.xlsx
>  http://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3dNodeInventoryComparison.ddf

The spreadsheet says it is for x3dom release 1.7 . Another reason to get a
new release out. The dev download is stable and based on the master branch.
It has the event utilities.

hope this helps, Andreas