[x3d-public] Deep Learning AI solves PDEs and Navier-Stokes in Fourier space

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Thu Nov 12 02:12:41 PST 2020

On 11/11/2020 11:36 PM, John Carlson wrote:
> https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/10/30/1011435/ai-fourier-neural-network-cracks-navier-stokes-and-partial-differential-equations

neural nets cannot "solve" partial differential equations.  a complex NN surface might approximate a mathematical surface but has no way to tell you when it's pattern matching attempts are incorrect.

adapting a quote from Richard Hamming: i have no desire to fly in an airplane that depends on such solutions to remain airborne.

btw MIT Tech Review apparently wants personal information before reading.  no thanks.

> Can we subclass VolumeRendering API to include solutions for Navier-Stokes PDEs?

no.  but an application might use any part of X3D to visualize any kind of solution for such partial differential equations.

> Is this something d3-x3d is interested in?  James?

another worthy path forward would be encouraging the major math programs (Mathworks et al.) to continue improving their X3D export.

thanks John.