[x3d-public] X3D working group agenda: scheduling, conference quicklook, specification work planning, X3D4 finalization

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Thu Nov 19 10:43:59 PST 2020

Next meeting is tomorrow Friday November 20, 0800-0930 Pacific. Participation details:

[0.1] Web3D Teleconference Information
        https://www.web3d.org/member/teleconference-information

> Please use the following link for all Web3D Consortium Meetings.
>
> Join URL: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81634670698?pwd=a1VPeU5tN01rc21Oa3hScUlHK0Rxdz09

Proposed meeting topics:

0. Scheduling: starting next week, can we begin meeting one hour later, Friday 9-10 Pacific time?

1. Web3D 2020 Conference quicklook (10-15 minutes only)

2. X3D Specification work planning review

3. X3D4 finalization

a. Prose in Lighting and Shape components
b. Lighting values greater than 1, should we explain?
c. outlining then drafting Annex M, HTML5 Integration Guidelines
d. XSLT cleanup to remove all editorial markup and create pristine votable CD text

Additional suggestions welcome.

[preliminary minutes follow]

0. Scheduling

a. Reschedule weekly meeting
b. X3D4 ballot text

---

1. Web3D 2020 Conference quicklook

Lots and Lots of great work is online!  Videos continue to be added.

[1.0] Web3D 2020 Conference
       https://web3D.siggraph.org

[1.1] Web3D 2021 Conference
       https://web3d.siggraph.org/about/web3d-2021-conference/

[1.2] Web3D Conference TODO
       https://web3D.siggraph.org/TODO

ACM Digital Library paper & poster resources remain available free for another 2 weeks

[1.3] ACM Digital Library, Web3D Conference
       https://dl.acm.org/conference/web3d

---

2. Specification work planning review

[2.0] X3D Specification Relationships
       https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3dSpecificationRelationships.png

 From a specification structure perspective, it makes best sense to keep X3D JSON as a file encoding, than trying to fit JSON into the ECMAScript language binding.

We think that performing editorial work for each of the following can be done in one single effort:

- 19776-1 X3D XML Encoding
- 19776-2 X3D ClassicVRML Encoding
- 19776-5 X3D JSON Encoding

We also had a good discussion on similarities/differences for working on the following together:

- 19776-3 X3D Compressed Binary Encoding
- 19776-4 X3D Efficient Binary Encoding

We then looked at language bindings:

- 19775-2 SAI Abstract Reference is pretty mature, add some services for X3D4 and (a bit bigger) generalization of standalone operation.

- 19777-1 X3D ECMAScript
- 19777-2 X3D Java
- 19777-3 X3D C
- 19777-4 X3D C++
- 19777-5 X3D C#
- 19777-6 X3D Python

Each will require some work but appears straightforward.  (Andreas, we likely will need your help as co-editor on ECMAScript).  We are further assisted by autogeneration of the listing-all-nodes annexes, which is already accomplished and will only need some updates.

So, once X3D4 Architecture is prepared for balloting and undergoing several months of review, we will first do a work estimate for all 12 of the related specifications.

---