[x3d-public] X3D4 finalization endgame: Field naming reconciliation as synonyms

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 13:06:31 PST 2020

> Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2020 10:45:58 -0800
> From: Don Brutzman <brutzman at nps.edu>
> To: John Carlson <yottzumm at gmail.com>
> Cc: "vmarchetti at kshell.com" <vmarchetti at kshell.com>, X3D-Public
>         <x3d-public at web3d.org>
> Subject: Re: [x3d-public] X3D4 finalization endgame: Field naming
>         reconciliation as synonyms
>
> Clearly duplicated definition of synonym field values is a model error
> that validation-oriented tools will notice and report.

This applies to the initialization phase of field values. Does it also
apply to dynamic changes, via ROUTEs or Scripts of field values ? Such
dynamic changes are hard to detect in validation.

I think what this means is that the idea is that a Scene can only use one
of the field synonyms for a given node throughout. In turn, such a
requirement would need to be stated in the spec., otherwise authors will
mix and match at will.

> As carefully phrased in prior response and in existing specification, when
> an X3D model is erroneous then behavior is undefined.
>
> So there is no need to define expected response (first second alphabetical
> neither nor) and no additional burden on implementers to cope with
> duplicates.  The implementation can ignore silently, protest once, protest
> twice, halt and catch fire, whatever.  8)

Unfortunately, I think there is still a significant burden on implementers
because browsers still have to deal with dynamic changes to fields. It will
be probably necessary to add an intermediate layer which deals with
synonyms and resolves them to the single, internal field. Other
implementers may have a different view.

-Andreas

> On 11/29/2020 10:10 AM, John Carlson wrote:
> >
> > Fixed editing?mistake.
> >
> > On Sun, Nov 29, 2020 at 12:09 PM John Carlson <yottzumm at gmail.com
> <mailto:yottzumm at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     I think it's more critical when both oldName and newName exist in
> XML or VRML (in JSON, last takes precedence, I think). Which?value do you
> store last when both the new and old attributes are specified in XML??
> ?Some kind of ordering?will exist?in the tools processing the XML, but
> without a standard, there may be alternate implementations.

> brutzman at nps.edu
> X3D graphics, virtual worlds, navy robotics
> http://faculty.nps.edu/brutzman

> End of x3d-public Digest, Vol 140, Issue 89

Andreas Plesch
Waltham, MA 02453