[x3d-public] X3D4 draft nearing readiness for ballot; Mantis 519 Event utilities, ignoring set_boolean false events

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Mon Nov 30 19:32:18 PST 2020

[cc: x3d-public]

On 11/30/2020 6:02 PM, Andreas Plesch wrote:
> Hi Don,
>
> Thanks for considering a HTML5 annex with guidance on how X3D integration may work.

should have a draft for everyone to improve in a few days...

> I was reminded of an issue with the Event Utilities component while browsing. A while back we had a discussion that only True valued events should trigger outputs. https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/X3dTooltips.html#IntegerTrigger <https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/X3dTooltips.html#IntegerTrigger> mentions this as a hint for the set_boolean field with a reference to Mantis issue 519 . However, the spec. language was not updated accordingly:
>
> https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3Dv4Draft/ISO-IEC19775-1v4-WD2/Part01/components/eventUtilities.html#IntegerTrigger <https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3Dv4Draft/ISO-IEC19775-1v4-WD2/Part01/components/eventUtilities.html#IntegerTrigger>
>
> still says "The value of set_boolean shall be ignored.", implying that False valued events also trigger output. There are similar fields for other nodes. I believe x3dom currently follows the spec., not the Tooltip.
>
> This is not a major issue but one which may be possible to be resolved in a limited time since the necessary changes in spec. language are minimal.
>
> all the best, -Andreas

* Mantis 519: 30.4.6 IntegerTrigger, 30.4.7 TimeTrigger - Additional Text
   https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view.php?id=519

Comment:
Should add sentences to each node that "The value of set_boolean shall only be honored if a TRUE value is received." This default supports simpler scene logic for most cases, matches original design intent, and avoids several TRUE/FALSE pathologies that are common to TouchSensor. Author logic that is strictly dependent on the receipt of FALSE values can be easily constructed using other event utility nodes.

You are right.  Great job remembering, this slipped under our Mantis radar... now re-elevated.

Adding this clarification streamlines event-chain logic and means authors don't have to insert a BooleanFilter any time they are routing SFBool values.

Last call for comment, if no show-stopper examples discovered then the spec revision will get added.

If someone thinks they found some kind of example, well OK but please be prepared to explain:
(a) why behavior is not ambiguous (TRUE go do something, FALSE go do something)
(b) why more direct logic isn't possible.

Have fun with X3D4!  TRUE!  8)