[x3d-public] X3D specification editors meeting 5 APR 2021: mantis geoSystem resolution, workflow diagrams, ballot comments and github

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Tue Apr 6 09:44:46 PDT 2021

Dick Puk and I met Monday to continue steady progress on X3D specification development.

1. Reviewed and resolved following.

[1] Mantis 1302 geoSystem is difficult to define and parse, consider alternative approach
     https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view.php?id=1302 (attached)

"Look at split of MFString geoSystem parameters for better parsing and referencability, i.e. rather than a single MFString with complex parsing requirements, perhaps splitting into separate fields is better handled."

We determined the following.
"This is not a problem for browsers since existing implementations work. The geoSystem field identifies the characteristics inherent to carefully prepared geospatial data.

It is exceedingly unlikely that any author would be trying to make changes at run-time, since geoSystem reflects the controlling parameters for (usually large) blocks of data. If anything, an author might only be creating such a node.

Therefore this enhancement, which would facilitate modifications by scripting and animation, is not really needed. No run-time use-case justification found.

Change not accepted."

Resolved as "no change required".  If there are any objections or additional insights, please holler.

---

2. We reviewed workflows for Mantis issues, including illustrations, as described in

[2] Mantis Workflows
     http://www.web3d.org/member/mantis-workflow

Diagrams attached. (Seems like our procedures should be public, feedback welcome.)

Since we expect to next edit X3D4 ballot comments, we closely reviewed MantisWorkflowWeb3DControlledText.png.

Basically looks correct.  We think that the blue column 4 with step "Add to ISO comments document" should have a horizontal arrow pointing towards right, for completeness.

Also looks consistent with our current practices of adding CSS markup to the specification drafts.

Our X3D4 ballot deadline is in May, so priority activity for X3D Working Group in April is to review and finalize our list of comments on X3D4.

Request everyone make any suggestions for improvement known.

---

3. We went into github and created a placeholder for X3D4 update following ISO ballot.  README:

Upon receipt of ISO comments from X3D4 ballot of Committee Draft (CD),
we will copy files for clean CD text into this directory and begin
applying editors resolutions as CSS changes to the document.

TODO: depending on number and significance of ballot comments that are received,
we may recommend proceeding directly to IS (and skipping DIS) if advisable.
Such an accelerated path is preferred by Web3D Consortium if achievable.

[3] https://github.com/Web3DConsortium/X3D
     https://github.com/Web3DConsortium/X3D/tree/master/ISO-IEC19775/ISO-IEC19775-1/ISO-IEC19775-1v4.0

---

4. We have files in place for next round of 19775-2 Scene Access Interface (SAI) ready for upgrade to X3D4.

[4] https://github.com/Web3DConsortium/X3D/tree/master/ISO-IEC19775/ISO-IEC19775-2/ISO-IEC19775-2v4.0/ISO-IEC19775-2v4.0-WD1

---

5. We similarly have files in place for next round of editing of file encodings for upgrade to X3D4.

[5] https://github.com/Web3DConsortium/X3D/tree/master/ISO-IEC19776

	ISO-IEC19776-1
	ISO-IEC19776-2
	ISO-IEC19776-3

We plan to meet again Thursday following W3C Audio API group teleconference.