[x3d-public] wondering about glTF and Draco relationship

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Thu Apr 22 08:23:45 PDT 2021

Hello Web3D-Khronos Liaison Experts!  Here are some public questions for you, originating in our CAD Design Printing Scanning and X3D Working Groups.

Question about Draco: thought it was usable as a preprocessor for glTF files that could produce .glb files, but is that incorrect?

* https://google.github.io/draco

"Draco is an open-source library for compressing and decompressing 3D geometric meshes and point clouds. It is intended to improve the storage and transmission of 3D graphics."

If Draco is compatible with glTF do we need to mention it (as an optional perhaps) in X3D4?

If Draco-compressed files are not compatible with glTF files, what is the relationship?  What are their intentions?

Near-term impact: do we need to add any comments in X3D4 submission to ISO ballot (deadline 5 May)?

Long-term impact: can we encourage use of Draco-processed loading of glTF models, or will we need to wait until revisiting X3D Compressed Binary Encoding?

Thanks in advance for all inquiry and insight.