[x3d-public] Changing Protos

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 15:49:43 PDT 2021

Some feedback:

https://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19775-2/V3.3/index.html

5.2.27. SAIProtoDeclaration

Essentially says that Protos need to be declared in a file, stream or
string.   Protos may not be changed at runtime.   To me, that means that
setters are not legal on ProtoDeclare statements and nodes and statements
inside the ProtoDeclare.   What does X3DJSAIL support?

This further motivates me to discuss the Importer or Builder pattern.
Protos may be made immutable by passing a builder to the constructor and by
not providing setters or providing ways to modify objects returned from
methods.   How does X3DJSAIL support this?

Are we going to change the standard?   Would this be bad for “proto
expanders” which don’t leave protos around for modification?

Maybe I’m crying wolf?

Are PROTOs not compatible with HTML JavaScript, or can we hide the Proto
interface such that a client JavaScript program cannot change PROTOs?

John