[x3d-public] X3D meeting minutes 20 AUG 2021, C C++ C# and Mantis MetadataDate

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 12:34:35 PDT 2021

Don, Myeong, Doug,

I noticed that there are no virtual methods in the C++ spec SAI I got
(examples, yes, except for ~SAIExample5()) on drive.google.com.  I do
not think they are necessary, but may be useful when defining subclasses
for people who want to subclass from the SAI abstract and concrete
nodes. https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/virtual-function-cpp/ Note that
most methods are virtual in Java, without the keyword.  I think virtual
methods are slower than regular methods, last I heard.  But I'm pretty
sure all destructors should be virtual?  I've forgotten. Some discussion
whether destructors should be present in the spec is welcome. The
virtual destructor ensures that the superclass destructor is not called.

I think it would be useful to have Doug Sanden review the abstract and
concrete class and structs before making big decisions.

I am also unsure why the first parameter to many C function pointer
declarations is void* instead of passing a pointer to a struct type?

In all cases, C/C++/C# it might be useful for setter functions and
members to return this or *this, instead of void.   We need set
functions to return this for creating builders I'm fairly sure. (In C
SAI, the first parameter is called this, it's not a keyword that I know of).

I'm glad I am reviewing this!  We'll see if anything else pops into my
head after I send the message!

Thanks,

John