[x3d-public] Fwd: Next, in Python news...

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 19:48:11 PDT 2021

Yes, you need to ‘’’pip install x3d’’’
before running the provided script in previous message.   See link
previously posted by Joe.

Thanks for confirmation of received message.

The header is the top of the file.   If you don’t want to run my code,
convert your own proto xml to python using X3dToPython.xslt.   I don’t have
a JSON converter for this test.

The main purpose is to get proper implementation of Protos in pure python.
  I’m guessing it may be a wider problem with x3d.py, because when I
patched Protos in my version, there were further issues.   So simply
patching Protos won’t fix all the issues.   A full roundtrip XML -> python
-> XML needs to be done for the archive.

I’ve freed up some time to work on python, and I plan to start work on a
test suite soon.   It would be good to get past my initial issues with the
package.   I can reattempt to modify the x3d package generator, but that
doesn’t mean my patches will be available when I am done.    It still needs
to go through official channels.

If you’re fed up with stylesheets, I can offer a solution, but it’s not as
elegant or pythonic and uses Java.   As far as I can tell, XSLT is the
declarative transformer of choice for XML.

The main thing I think needs to be done is handle cases where parameters
and classes have the same case sensitive name.

If people want to contribute to x3d.py project, now’s your chance.   I’m
fairly sure the python binding needs to be standardized.

I know pretty much everyone has been covidized.

After spinning up python, I’ll return to C++ if there’s enough code
separated from the standard.

John