[x3d-public] X3D Scripting for X3DOM w/o reading standard

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 20:01:24 PST 2021

The script node is not in the scene in this instance, rather it’s part of
the page.   Unless you are referring to SAI.   I think that’s in another
document.

What I’m specifically talking about is X3D scripting inside the scene with
script <field>s, which I’m guessing the standard is now punting on based on
the X3DOM examples presented so far.

If someone has a good example of this X3D scripting with X3DOM, by all
means share it!

I really think the W3C or HTML standards body should be approached for this
specific extension of the script node, if the Web3d consortium wishes to
support <field> children under <script>.  That is, unless we can change the
behavior of <script>,  which I guess is pretty nailed down for security
purposes.

We should also get our ducks in order in X3DOM what we should do if a
ProtoBody contains a script and we have more than one ProtoInstance of the
ProtoBody.   Examples, please!

Please provide an accessible standard.   The best way I’ve found to learn
is by example.   I don’t think the X3D standard is the correct standard to
change, so yes, X3D might want to punt on the event model, if script
<field>s aren’t supported.

I like how X_ITE does this!

Thanks!

John