[x3d-public] Work to do on validation and verfication

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 08:39:19 PST 2021

1.  We could provide vendors with a standardized list of error codes to
report on.   Likely this has been done.   Vendors need to step up and
report errors that can be looked up in standards (tooltips, etc), not
just rely on stack overflow.   Reports have not really been uniform
across browsers.  If we standardized error messages across browsers,
that would be good!   I know anyone can pick up validator code from our
websites.  For example, I know that oracle has an extensive list of
error codes for all their products.   We would just have to collect and
formalize existing errors.  Then we would creating examples that would
throw exceptions (we do have a list of exceptions, I think).  Skills
learned debugging learned in one browser do not often transfer over to
another browser's error messages.

2.  I can turn my focus away from validating files with X3DJSAIL,
x3d.py, etc.  And spend more time on browsers, so for example, helping
them test files to identify if their browser generates the right error
messages for the wrong files.

3.  I am not really in a good position do do a lot of coding and
debugging.   I'm more working on communication skills these days.

4.  Ajv errors can be customized!   We could spend effort on producing
easy to understand error messages.  I funded someone to do this, and we
uncovered ajv-errors that does this!  You can customize errors produced
from Ajv.

5.  We still need to focus on designers I think.  I think we can make
the developer's job a little be harder on

6. I will read some FAQs if they are available.