[x3d-public] DALL-E, GPT-3 and X3D; UniversalMedia

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Sun Jan 10 21:51:35 PST 2021

Thanks for the UniversalMedia reminder GL!

On 1/10/2021 12:54 AM, GL wrote:

> I don't have a direct answer to your idea/question, but here is a denim texture just for fun, and perhaps a reminder that the UniversalMedia textures from 20 years ago are still available. GL
>
> http://www.officetowers.com/UniversalMedia/textures/materials/denim_3.jpg.htm <http://www.officetowers.com/UniversalMedia/textures/materials/denim_3.jpg.htm>
>
> http://www.officetowers.com/UniversalMedia/ <http://www.officetowers.com/UniversalMedia/>

We never got around to also putting these into Web3D open source because we were focused on the 3D models of Universal Media:

* X3D Example Archives: Basic, Universal Media Materials
   https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/UniversalMediaMaterials

* X3D Example Archives: Basic, Universal Media Panoramas
   https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/UniversalMediaPanoramas

There indeed is a lot more there, but it still seems hard to view "at a glance" everything available...

Wondering, given hindsight and increased skills, how might we improve exposure of these other assets?  Is there a catalog?

* OpenAI's DALL-E Can Create Images From Just Text Description
   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAjBaWh_FgU

* Wikipedia: DALL-E
   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DALL-E

* Wikipedia: GPT-3
   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPT-3

* Wikipedia: AlphaFold
   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AlphaFold

> What if we could do something like DALL-E *plus* AlphaFold to generate 3-D models, suitable for inclusion into a X3D world?   Where do real world semantics meet X3D semantics? As far as I know, there's no "denim" in X3D.
>
> Hmm!
>
> John

uhh, i think the Borg had some ideas about how to do this but cost of admission was higher than web3d membership...  8)

more seriously, we will keep working on X3D Ontology capabilities so that Semantic Web queries including 3D can become more and more interconnected.