[x3d-public] Chisel Codebase Again Available

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 23:48:52 PST 2021

It would seem very easy to create an X3D -> classic VRML conversion on
input with chisel using conversion tools in X3DJSAIL.   Perhaps more
difficult would be to add a VRML parser, but chisel or Xj3d should have one.

I would advocate for converting XML to JSON in the web browser before this.

We could probably add VRML to XML fairly easily, if we have the VRML object
model in chisel—just add toX3D() or some such.  Perhaps we could adopt a
<fill in the blank> to X3D approach.   I do not know where to start—there
seem to be many choices.

What I would advocate is developing a library of importers an exporters
that we could pass to a scenegraph.   I believe this is the best design.

So instead of set/get everywhere in the API, one would have importers that
one would pass to the X3D constructor and a method you could pass exporters
to in the X3D class in X3DJSAIL.   so there would be a method
toFile(Exporter). for example.

Thus a simple translation from VRML to X3D might entail:

VRMLImporter vi = new VRMLImporter(file or string);

X3D x = new X3D(vi);

 X3DExporter xe = new X3DExporter(file or string builder);

x.export(xe);

Let me know what volunteer positions are available for chisel.  I normally
focus on creating test cases and testing and automated testing.

John