[x3d-public] inaccessible Background urls

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 03:10:25 PDT 2021

I'd say that it makes sense to clarify specification for this. A
missing background texture should IMHO behave like a transparent one
(not black).

The question remains should *one* missing texture result in 1. *all*
skybox textures being ignored, 2. or just this one texture/side being
transparent. CGE uses separate textures for skybox (not cubemap) so
ignoring only one of them is not a problem. Ultimately it's a question
what is better for authors, and I do not know myself.

I'm a bit more leaning toward 2 (only the missing texture is ignored,
i.e. transparent) as it is consistent with behavior if you leave URL
of this one texture unspecified (so none, as default).

I could go with this simple sentence:

"""If any Background texture is missing, the rendering result is as if
this texture was fully transparent."""

Regards,
Michalis