[x3d-public] Future of glTF with X3D JSON (and three.js)

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 16:22:06 PDT 2021

How do we integrate X3D JSON and glTF?  Through URLs only?  Or can we
mix and match X3D JSON and glTF in a file? My guess is we're aiming for
real integration, perhaps by adding a "glTF" node or statement (which I
have yet to see), and then making that node or statement part of a
profile or component.  I realize glTF is probably currently integrated
through the Inline (I'm not sure if it's a node or statement).
Similarly, glTF might provide an "X3D" property for including X3D JSON.

I just discovered ObjectLoader++ in three.js, that parses JSON. I guess
there are 2 different kinds of loaders in three.js.  Ones based on
formats like VRML and glTF, and one based on JSON, but not glTF (????).
I don't know the roots of the ObjectLoader in three.js, if anyone wants
to enlighten me.  Could we convert from X3D JSON to what I call
"ObjectLoader JSON"?  Is that what my version of three-x3d-loader does?

If someone has some ObjectLoader JSON files, can they share them with me?

Thanks,