[x3d-public] VSCode for X3DJSONLD development (any developers?), including X3D JSON and X3D XML

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Sun Sep 5 23:14:03 PDT 2021

I just loaded the .gltf of the model shown in the below inside VSCode
and downloaded the necessary plugin for Filament, Cesium, Babylon and
Three.js.

The previewer is integrated as a pane, not a window.  Nice and clean
like you expect from an app.  You can turn backgrounds on an off, the
four libraries appear as separate tabs, and you can enable or disable
animation.

If anyone wants to join me, I will start working on an X3DJSONLD port
(including X3DOM, X_ITE and perhaps VRMLLoader [three.js]) to VSCode.
I'm pretty much a VSCode newbie at this point.  I plan on offering X3D
JSON (first) and later X3D XML to interested parties (people who click
on .x3d and the JSON extension [.x3dj?])on the VSCode Marketplace. VRML
already has a plugin, it appears.

If anyone else wants their JS or WASM X3D Browser integrated into
VSCode, let me know.  I develop on Linux, not Mac or Windows at this
point.  Mac and Windows developers welcome!

This is kind of the direction that I wanted X3DJSONLD to go in the
original designs.  If you can't beat 'em, join em!

I think it will be key to get xslt3 or the JavaScript library for XSLT
3.0 working for X3D XML -> X3D JSON, unless someone wants to optimize JS.

If someone who has investigated VSCode for other X3D projects can
present a review, that would be cool.

John