[x3d-public] X3D minutes 17 SEP 2021: Web3D 2021, X3DJSAIL methods for HTML, SourceForge issue tickets, 3D Text, Mantis spec-editing progress

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Sun Sep 19 19:45:35 PDT 2021

Attendees John Carlson, Anita Havele, Vince Marchetti, Dick Puk, Don Brutzman

  1.  We discussed potential execution of additional tutorials during Web3D 2021 on X3D4 and glTF-X3D for physically based rendering.

Web3D 2021: 26th International Conference on 3D Web Technology
Virtual Event, Organized by ISTI-CNR.  Pisa, Italy, November 8-12, 2021
https://web3d.siggraph.org<https://web3d.siggraph.org/>

  1.  X3DJSAIL update was deployed.  This includes long-needed updates to Saxon HE libraries for XSLT to version 10.6 Home Edition HE (open source).

  *   X3D Java Scene Access Interface Library (X3DJSAIL) supports programmers with standards-based X3D Java interfaces and objects, all as open source.
  *   https://www.web3d.org/specifications/java/X3DJSAIL.html

Investigated and answered question about setID() getID() methods.  Now documented:

X3DJSAIL Utility Methods and Functionality
https://www.web3d.org/specifications/java/X3DJSAIL.html#UtilityMethods

Complete. Utility methods for X3D model attributes when used as part of HTML pages.

  *   Methods of interest for common HTML attributes are present but have slightly different names to clearly differentiate them from X3D fields.
  *   Specific patterns include getHtmlID(), getCssClass(), getCssStyle() and setHtmlID(newValue), setCssClass(newValue), setCssStyle(newValue).
  *   Example methods: Box.getHtmlID()<https://www.web3d.org/specifications/java/javadoc/org/web3d/x3d/jsail/Geometry3D/Box.html#getHtmlID()> and Box.setHtmlID(java.lang.String)<https://www.web3d.org/specifications/java/javadoc/org/web3d/x3d/jsail/Geometry3D/Box.html#setHtmlID(java.lang.String)>, Box.getCssClass()<https://www.web3d.org/specifications/java/javadoc/org/web3d/x3d/jsail/Geometry3D/Box.html#getCssClass()> and Box.setCssClass(java.lang.String)<https://www.web3d.org/specifications/java/javadoc/org/web3d/x3d/jsail/Geometry3D/Box.html#setCssClass(java.lang.String)>, Box.getCssStyle()<https://www.web3d.org/specifications/java/javadoc/org/web3d/x3d/jsail/Geometry3D/Box.html#getCssStyle()> and Box.setCssStyle(java.lang.String)<https://www.web3d.org/specifications/java/javadoc/org/web3d/x3d/jsail/Geometry3D/Box.html#setCssStyle(java.lang.String)>

  1.  Thanks to initiatives by John Carlson, we had a good discussion about using the Open Discussion section of SourceForge to comment on specific issues with X3D models and codebases there.

  *   x3d / Discussion / Open Discussion (sourceforge.net)<https://sourceforge.net/p/x3d/discussion/169856/>
  *   https://sourceforge.net/p/x3d/discussion/169856

John, let’s together look closer at this please.
- We already have an archived “discussion” list, namely this very same x3d-public mailing list.  Another is not needed.
- Issue reporting always needs to be terse and precise (not endless copying of threads) or it is simply not readable, repeatable or useful.
- We might try to do “Tickets” instead as a way to track the specifics of individual bugs and fixes.

  1.  3D text. In response to recurring list questions about 3D text, added the following Mantis issue for future X3D 4.1.  Feedback welcome.

  *   Mantis 1374: Need to add 3D text capabilities
  *   https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view.php?id=1374

Need to add 3D text capabilities as a long-requested feature in X3D.

Characteristics of potential interesting include:
* compatibility with Text, FontStyle, ScreenFontStyle
* possibility of simple extrusion of 2D fonts,
* possible interoperability with WebFonts
* internationalization (I18N) and localization (L10N)

Related:
* https://www.w3.org/Fonts
* https://www.w3.org/groups/wg/webfonts

  1.  Mantis issue progress remains steady, Dick and I continue to maintain forward momentum. X3D 4.0 Resolution list attached.

  *   View Issues - Web3D MantisBT<https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view_all_bug_page.php>
  *   https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view_all_bug_page.php

Thanks for all efforts.  Have fun with X3D4!