[x3d-public] X3D Ontology release: updated libraries, two books of interest

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Sun Sep 19 20:56:29 PDT 2021

Am happy to report updated release of X3D Ontology distribution.  The ontology itself remains stable, we slowly keep improving tools and tests that show how it works.

  *   The X3D Ontology for Semantic Web provides terms of reference for semantic query of X3D models.
  *   https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/semantics/semantics.html

Updated internal libraries include Saxon 10.6 for XSLT transformations and Apache Jena ARQ for queries.  As usual, also tested in Protégé (screenshot attached).

All unit tests pass as shown in build logs.  Version-control diff (differencing) history reveals problems and progress.

  *   https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/semantics/build.all.log.txt
  *   https://sourceforge.net/p/x3d/code/HEAD/tree/www.web3d.org/semantics/build.all.log.txt

Two interesting new references inform our thinking on this work.

  *   X3D Ontology, References: Books, Papers and Workshops, Specifications
  *   https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/semantics/semantics.html#References

  1.  William Kent and Steve Hoberman, Data and Reality<https://technicspub.com/data-and-reality>, Technics Publications, third edition, 2012. "A timeless perspective on perceiving and managing information in our imprecise world." (excerpts<http://www.bkent.net/Doc/darxrp.htm>) (goodreads<https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1753248.Data_and_Reality>) (Owen Ambur<http://ambur.net/datareality.pdf>)
  2.  Jose E. Labra Gayo, Eric Prud’hommeaux, Iovka Boneva, and Dimitris Kontokostas, Validating RDF Data, Synthesis Lectures on the Semantic Web: Theory and Technology<https://book.validatingrdf.com/>, Vol. 7, No. 1, DOI: 10.2200/S00786ED1V01Y201707WBE016<https://doi.org/10.2200/S00786ED1V01Y201707WBE016>, Morgan & Claypool, 2018.
Recent work includes mapping Dublin Core document metadata from X3D meta elements into native expressions.  We also hope to sort out a few XMP issues soon.  Lots more long-term work to continue after that.

Have fun developing model queries using X3D Ontology!  8)