[x3d-public] X3D meeting agenda 1 OCT 2021: TimeSensor pause, resume, cycleInterval resolution review

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Tue Sep 28 11:45:15 PDT 2021

Regular meeting this Friday on Web3D Consortium teleconference line.

Dick and I made excellent progress resolving multiple long-standing Mantis issues regarding pause, resume, cycleInterval changes.  We further built on prior mantis/mailing-list comments to require consistent determinism when loading Inline models as part of initial scene definition, independent of intermediate network delays.  Interesting.

Issue commentary online (for Web3D members) at

  *   https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view_all_bug_page.php
  *   Mantis 1080: 08.4.1 TimeSensor - TimeSensor cycleInterval needs to be modifiable when running
  *   Mantis 1106: 08.2.4.4 Pausing time - Settings on resuming after pause

We request review, all comments welcome.  Proposed changes are publicly visible online at

  *   X3D Architecture, Time component
  *   https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3Dv4Draft/ISO-IEC19775-1v4-CD1/Part01/components/time.html

Looking further ahead:  the following long-standing issue to make TimeSensor cycleTime outputOnly event part of X3DTimeDependentNode, and thus consistently part of AudioClip MovieTexture and relevant new Audio nodes.  Makes sense for media synchronization, seems feasible and useful to authors, appears do-able without loss of backwards compatibility.  We did not resolve this functional improvement today, but might address it during upcoming CD balloting by ISO member nations.

  *   Mantis 8.3.1 X3DTimeDependentNode: include TimeSensor outputOnly field cycleTime?

We will also discuss this during the X3D Audio call Wednesday.  If everyone wants to proceed, we will consider adoption on Friday.

As ever, time is of the essence.  No really.

Have fun with X3D4 animation and interaction!  8)