[x3d-public] TimeSensor > specs vs nist example

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 13:50:27 PDT 2022

Yes, the time origin is 1970. This works with the web which has the
same time origin.

There are ways to set startTime, for example with TimeTrigger from any
boolean event source. A Loadsensor of a texture url (perhaps just a
tracking pixel) could also be a source for startTime. For the addition
of a delay scripting becomes necessary.

I think I have seen delayed autostart built from a first Timsensor
with loop=true to autostart, disabling itself after the first cycle,
and activating then a second Timesensor by setting the startTime from
stopTime.

Often it is a better user experience anyways to wait for some
interaction which then can be sensed to start a Timesensor, at least
on the web.

Hope this helps, Andreas

> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 11:47:40 -0600
> From: GPU Group <gpugroup at gmail.com>
> Subject: [x3d-public] TimeSensor > specs vs nist example
>
> When trying to do a startup delay timer, I didn't find a match in the nist
> examples
> https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/ConformanceNist/Sensors/TimeSensor/index.html
>
> in the specs,
> https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3Dv4Draft/ISO-IEC19775-1v4-CD1/Part01/components/time.html#Timeactivation
>
> the first diagram shows loop false, stoptime less than or equal startime
> - it should ignore stoptime and use cycleInterval
> The closest match I could find in nist examples:
> https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/ConformanceNist/Sensors/TimeSensor/stopltstartloopfalseIndex.html
> - nist comment for this scene:
> "The result is: Because loop is false, a red Sphere geometry should NOT
> move from right to center to left and back to center one time when the
> world is loaded."
> - and all browsers conform to nist comment that it doesn't animate on
> startup.
> ?? To me it looks like all web3d browsers are failing the first specs
> diagram (and passing the NIST test). If we honored the first diagram, then
> I could do a startup delay loop=false, stopTime=- 0, startTime=0,
> cycleInterval=2 to get a 2 second isActive on startup
> Q1. does the nist example stopeqstartloopfalse or stopltstartloopfalse
> comment 'there should be no startup animation' match Component Time >
> Activation Figure 8.1 top diagram of loop false, starttime .gt. stoptime?
> Q. how to do a delay: one-time event x seconds after scene load?
> Thanks, Doug Sanden
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

> Could relate to confusion between a) time since 1970 and b) time relative
> to loadtime==0
> For example
> startTime = stopTime= 0, cycleTime = 5, loop=false, all browsers show the
> isActive session is over when the scene loads.
> startTime = stopTime = 0, cycleTime = 1660156846 (seconds since 1970 plus
> some), loop=false will show isActive true on load in most browsers
> Suggestion - a timesensor field saying if times are relative to load-time
> == 0 or from 1970, allowing scene to be designed in loadtime relative
> seconds.
> -Doug
>
> On Wed, Aug 10, 2022 at 11:47 AM GPU Group <gpugroup at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > When trying to do a startup delay timer, I didn't find a match in the nist
> > examples
> >
> > https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/ConformanceNist/Sensors/TimeSensor/index.html
> >
> > in the specs,
> >
> > https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3Dv4Draft/ISO-IEC19775-1v4-CD1/Part01/components/time.html#Timeactivation
> >
> > the first diagram shows loop false, stoptime less than or equal startime
> [...]

Andreas Plesch
Waltham, MA 02453