[x3d-public] Do Technocrats Know? - Was: WARNING! STRONG LANGUAGE AHEAD

GL info at 3dnetproductions.com
Sat Aug 27 18:14:53 PDT 2022

Facebook recently had me fill-out a survey about their so-called Metaverse.

You can be sure that I've told them what I think of the apparent disregard for existing open standards. But that's not enough, surveys are a numbers game.

However, isn't Mark already well aware of X3D standards? Maybe, maybe not. After all, there is only so much information one person can absorb. He has to rely on the opinion of others within the company, who may be leading him wrong… or right? Or do they?

On the other hand. Facebook's success was built upon the Hypertext Markup Language (HTML). It is only natural to think that its 3D incarnation should follow open standards in the same way. No?

Well wait… Not so fast… First of all, HTML was already pervasive. It was the only thing. It was everywhere. It had no internet competition. I cannot think of any 3D format today that even comes close to this.

Then…

ENTERS HARDWARE - Any API's supported graphics format must be compatible with the intended hardware targets. And Augmented Reality (AR) is bringing a whole new dimension to what that means.

ENTERS CRYPTOs & NFTs - There is no way around crypto. It is going to be an essential construction block in a forward looking metaverse.

So how do we put all of it together? Does the whole world need to go open standard and open source? What about the economics of it all? Where do we draw the line(s)?

These are all open questions that humans have yet to figure out, at least publicly. Did Meta figure it out? Who knows… But even though I have no interest in the current platform, they are trying, and that's what's important.

Let's hope that X3D can be a part of that eco-system as it evolves, hopefully, into a true metaverse. Keeping in mind that from an end-user's perspective, the underlying technology don't really matter in most cases. The technocrats know this. But perhaps my little entry in the survey dataset will help make a difference. And so will yours. Be vocal whenever and wherever possible. I think we can do it nicely, as we want to make friends not enemies. But together we can be heard.

Gina Lauren

* * * Interactive Multimedia - Internet Management * * *

  * *  Virtual Reality -- Application Programming  * *

    *   3D Net Productions  3dnetproductions.com   *