[x3d-public] Review 3D Engine Web Authoring tools (visual shaders. models and possibly X3D)

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 16:17:31 PST 2022

Many of these still support JavaScript editing.  I have excluded those that
have a non-JavaScript basis.

Babylon.js  http://editor.babylonjs.com/
Three.JS https://threejs.org/editor/
PlayCanvas https://playcanvas.com/features
VUE (?)
Whitestorm.js (Wraps Three.JS)
X3DOM https://examples.x3dom.org/editor/component_editor/
Cesium ??? anyone know anything?
Others?  What falls under the idea of "Web3D"?

I have some experience PlayCanvas (using the model viewer, adding models,
shaders and skyboxes); using CSG with Three.JS and writing a X3D JSON
loader; and messing around with the X3DOM component editor.

Should we enhance Titania to be compiled to WASM, so it's web-based?  Can
other authoring tools be compiled and run with WASM?

Do any professional designers you know use these tools on a regular basis?
 Why or why not?

VS Code has embraced glTF:
https://www.findbestopensource.com/product/analyticalgraphicsinc-gltf-vscode
and
previews models in Cesium, Babylon.js and Three.js.  Where's the VS Code
X3D extension?  I'm seeing:
https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=slevesque.vscode-3dviewer
(no
X3D?) https://github.com/stef-levesque/vscode-3dviewer (meshes only?)

It would seem to me that we should support 3D authoring tools, but I'm a
bit lost in 3D, at least with Blender.  I'm looking for a performance
boost, possible using a semantics/voice based 3D store, like using voice to
control GPT-3.