[x3d-public] X3D working group minutes 21 JAN 2022: Mantis issue resolutions for Text layout and glTF, IMPORT/EXPORT, Projects Wish List, Blender

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 11:47:31 PST 2022

Hi,
Answers inline:)

pt., 21 sty 2022 o 18:31 Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV)
<brutzman at nps.edu> napisał(a):

> Request review of major omnibus issue by Michalis:
>
> Mantis 1269 glTF physically based rendering PBR, advanced material textures and lighting
> https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view.php?id=1269
>
> Our assessment is this is nearly complete, EnvironmentLight needs to be confirmed stable, we can reduce this from major (no blockers) and confirm we are on endgame.  Since Khronos has formally submitted glTF as Publicly Available Specification (PAS) to ISO, we should be able to confirm that we are fully aligned.  Michalis please meet with Dick and Don to sort out Mantis status.

My status of EnvironmentLight thoughts is in
https://github.com/michaliskambi/x3d-tests/wiki/Image-Based-Lighting-(EnvironmentLight-node)
. Initial CGE implementation is done, but it needs finishing and
testing in more real-life cases. So, it's not finished, but advanced.

The EnvironmentLight question should really be separated from the
"glTF and PBR" stuff :) glTF spec doesn't even have lights at all, and
EnvironmentLight (aka "image-based lighting") makes sense for both PBR
and non-PBR materials.

Please propose a meeting time next week (and put it in the calendar
invite, to avoid any timezone confusion :) ). I'll happily meet and
talk.

> Crucial issue common to X3DOM, X_ITE, view3DScene: plans for supporting WebXR?  This should be elevated as #1 wish list on client side.

We do plan to support VR in Castle Game Engine (and view3dscene). As
it happens, I have just received Oculus Quest last weekend, thanks to
Rick Lentz: https://castle-engine.io/wp/2022/01/16/oculus-quest-2-developer-mode-for-castle-game-engine-enabled/
. I am excited about porting CGE/view3dscene to VR, using it as my
test device :)

Note:

- view3dscene is not a web application. WebXR is not for us. At least
for now -- we do plan a port of CGE/view3dscene to the web in 2022
(using WebAssembly in FPC, see
https://castle-engine.io/wp/2022/01/01/summary-of-2021-plans-for-2022/
). Then indeed view3dscene could use WebXR (on the web) for VR.

- Our first API for VR will most likely be using OpenXR. So, quite
similar to WebXR, just on desktops/mobile.

Regards,
Michalis