[x3d-public] Documenting X3DJSONLD interface to X_ITE and X3DOM.

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 20:54:12 PST 2022

I do not know if the ECMAScript SAI interface to X_ITE and X3DOM can be
standardized, that is, I don't know if you can run different browser
implementations in an HTML environment with the same interface.

Here's what I did for X_ITE:

* Load an ECMAScript object:

                var importedScene = browser.importJS(jsobj);

* Returning a DOM object after passing in an ECMAScript object:

                browser.importJS(jsobj, function(child) {

Here's what Andreas and I did for X3DOM:

* Returning a DOM object after passing in an ECMAScript object:

                var child = doc.runtime.createX3DFromJS(jsobj, path);

Once X3DJSONLD has produced DOM element, replace the scene/world:

                doc.runtime.replaceWorld(element);

Standardization of these methods in-line with SAI standards would be
appreciated, but perhaps there is an amount of coordination required?

Note that X3DOM and X_ITE both have createX3DFromString, but with different
parameters.

I would like a standardized way in the ECMAScript SAI spec to load X3D JS
objects from JSON sources, if that makes sense.  No, I don't want to
reparse JSON for each browser on my page.

We can certainly put this in the JSON standard, if necessary.

If I have overlooked something, let me know!

Thanks!