[x3d-public] Size of big cities in VRML 2 format (.wrl) textfile. For instance "Greater London"?

Daniel Alexandre bicomplex at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 19:47:31 PDT 2022

I need to make a good estimation of how many megabytes or gigabytes would
be a file in the format of VRML 2 (extension .wrl) in a static text file
for the 3D representation of a kind of Google 3D map of "Greater London
(Zone 1 to zone 6!)", in the United Kingdom, given that that representation
would only use the box (parallelepiped facade) and would be a bit like the
plaster mockup in miniature of an urban city of an architect in reasonable
accuracy featuring buildings and their facades (that are not particularly
high) and the large amounts of roads and parks that are basically empty...
How many gigabytes would that static text file in .wrl format be? Roughly.
A good estimation is needed. You can calculate it for a good area
neighborhood and then multiply it for the whole area or something like that.

Just assume there are no buildings like the Shard and ignore that level of
finesse in the details of the facades of the buildings. We want a quite
rough estimation to have an idea of how big would be the static data of the
textfiles. If you can come up with a number with your own rough
calculations in a couple of minutes would be indeed helpful. Would you say
the .wrl file would be bigger than 1 Gigabyte for London (Zone 1-6)? Would
you say the file is between 1-500 Gb? What is your best quick rough
estimation? That will be helpful and I will, later on, be willing to
compare notes if I do other calculations myself.

- Daniel