[x3d-public] Fwd: Meshes as images and image generation

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 08:50:25 PDT 2022

For starters, can STL be converted to image(s) and recovered?

The idea would be to generate (mesh) images, then translate them to STL.

I realize several pictures can be translated to 3D meshes, and one can
render the meshes.   I am more concerned about the fidelity of the geometry.

The idea would be to use the image(s) as an alternate encoding of the STL.
One probably couldn’t view the image and 3D model and recognize them as
each other.  The images would encode the tuples of the STL at a minimum.

Should we discuss adding time as a coordinate to normals and vertices in
STL for animation?  4D printing?

John