[x3d-public] Table for animators. X3D-Edit?

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 11:17:52 PDT 2023

On Thu, Aug 31, 2023 at 11:57 AM Joe D Williams <joedwil at earthlink.net>
wrote:

> > How might we address parts of the body?
>
> > Mocap interface…
>

> You might have to:
>
> * Read bvh bones and find appropriate hanim joints

Don has a BVH converter in X3D-Edit.   I’m hoping I can salvage at least my
JavaScript.  I’m not expecting or wanting to salvage Perl at this point. It
would be better to write a VRML parser for JAX-B, similar to how JAX-B and
Jackson work together.  I think, or use XML with JAX-B.  Sorry, I’m not
going the SAX or DOM way right now.

Are there newer things available for Java?  My knowledge dates from 2012.
I don’t want to write Java web server code any time soon.

> * Find default before animation pose.
>
> ** For hanim, the default is I pose, 0 0 0 between feet facing +Z in+Zout
> space.

I have info from your hierarchy in JSON, just need to import/export with
JAX-B/Jackson.  Or write the VRML parser above.   I’ll need a data model
for JAX-B.

** For bvh, the default pose before animation may be I or A or T or
> whatever the animation author chose. It may be the first frame of the
> supplied animation.

This is a data problem.  The task is to find the data to extract a skeleton
from.

> * Determine coordinate system of given bvh dimensions

This is bvhacker

**  The hanim model is +Zout right hand rule facing +z  (out of screen
> toward viewer), +y is up, and +x to model left.

I’m not writing an animation tool,  i can’t compete with the big guys.

>  **  The bvh model might be drawn and dimensioned in alternative +Zin left
> hand rule, facing -z with +y up and +x to model left.

Bvhacker probably

> * Test skeleton using animations designed for hanim standard basic +Zout
> models.

my brain hurts

> * Test skeleton using supplied bvh animation.
>
> ** Given the simple comparison of hanim standard vs bvh possible and maybe
> typical skeleton, then may find that bvh animations use left-hand rule for
> axis rotations while hanim uses right-hand rule for axis rotations. Simple
> experiments can appear that either or both of right-hand/left-hand
> coordinate reversal and/or of axis-rotation reversal.
>

> * If animation is interesting, Salvage what ever you can to add to the
> animation library.

You want a pipeline for  converting BVH?  That wasn’t my dream.

I just want to build a simple way to output output chaining VRML code,
based on knowledge I’ve gained.  Make it easier for the next person.  After
that, maybe tweening or whatever it’s called.