[x3d-public] bboxDisplay considerations

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 07:03:14 PDT 2023

Working on a first version of bboxDisplay, I came across a few more decisions.

The spec. language says that "The bounding box is displayed regardless
of whether contained content is visible.".  This is useful for
debugging purposes. x3dom may not correctly update bboxes when
non-visible content changes.

There is also the reverse situation when the bounding box is contained
within a grouping node which is not visible. Because further traversal
into a non-visible grouping node is not normally needed, x3dom would
not display bboxes contained in non-visible nodes for performance
reasons.

Another perhaps somewhat surprising point is that bboxes are aligned
with the local, surrounding coordinate system of grouping nodes. This
means that displaying the bbox of a Transform does not adjust to any
changes to that transform, only to changes to the surrounding
transform. This is the sensible solution but may be surprising to
authors at first. Authors can always use the bbox of an additional
Group inside such a transform.

Any feedback welcome, Andreas

--
Andreas Plesch