[x3d-public] X3D minutes 31 March 2023: Wikipedia X3D, developer support, Go Hokies!

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Fri Mar 31 17:32:53 PDT 2023

Attendees: William Glascoe, Anita Havele, Nicholas Polys, Dick Puk, Doug
Sanden, Don Brutzman

The X3D Working Group meets weekly on Fridays 09-1000 Pacific on Web3D
Consortium zoom channel.  Telcon information:

*
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81634670698?pwd=a1VPeU5tN01rc21Oa3hScUlHK0Rxdz09
*	https://zoom.us/j/148206572  Password 483805
*	https://www.web3d.org/member/teleconference-information

1.	X3D 2023 goals.  Our primary activities for X3D Working Group in
2023 are focused on broad and correct deployment.

a.	Encourage consistent rendering, interaction and usage for the many
tremendous capabilities in X3D4.
b.	Update ISO specifications and implementations for multiple
programming languages and file encodings to match X3D4.

Note current "Nearly Complete!" draft spec is at

*
https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3Dv4Draft/ISO-IEC19775-1v4-IS.review/

2.	Wikipedia X3D. This week we will continue group review and
improvement of the X3D page on Wikipedia, likely applying some touchups.
Thanks for all issues and insights.

*	https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X3D
*
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Anmbyz7gS_kNHtzHFhALlD9uDbz9Ta9W2Kcw79CM
BvY/edit

Emphasizing accuracy and accessibility of references is important.  Some
information might be historical or irrelevant too.

We posted a notice on the Talk tab of our intent to provide a change.

*
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Talk:X3D&action=edit&section=16
*	Notification: rewrite efforts in progress
*	Individuals in the X3D Working Group are considering a number of
editorial improvements to this page. This includes Web3D Consortium members
(primarily) and also community participants.
*	Our intent is not to remove important information or break any valid
content, but rather to coherently add a sizable number of improvements that
are now available as part of X3D 4.0 and HAnim 2.0 specifications. We have
identified several sections that contain outdated or perhaps irrelevant
information, which we will group and consider carefully as part of a
"historic" section perhaps.
*	Feedback welcome. We are perhaps a week away from applying
revisions.

Further edits welcome.  We will re-tackle this together in next week's
meeting.

3.	Developer support available at online sites

a.	We will also looked at the following possible resource for X3D
developers.  Comments welcome.

*	https://stackshare.io

*	Goal: provide further information and support to developers.
*	Is anyone using it?  I looked for glTF but didn't find it, perhaps
not understanding.

*	"Tech Stack Intelligence"
*	"Beat tech sprawl and make data-driven technology decisions"
*	"Tech Stack Intelligence provides real-time visibility into all the
developer tools, services, and packages you're using internally, down to the
version level, across all your Git repos."

b.	Also of note is that StackOverflow has long been a site supporting
developers and authors.

*	https://stackoverflow.com/search?q=x3d

c.	As ever, we are happy to showcase developer progress on Web3D
Consortium's twitter feed.  Posts typically include high-resolution
screenshots and relevant url links for long-term archival value.

*	https://twitter.com/Web3DConsortium

d.	Githack: CDN for your source code raw.githack.com serves files
directly from your source code hosting with proper Content-Type headers

*	https://raw.githack.com

4.	Further details and additional suggestions always welcome.  Have fun
with X3D!  8)

and, for Final Four in March Madness. Go Hokies!

*	Hokies prep to watch Final Four game
*
https://www.wsls.com/video/sports/2023/03/31/hokies-prep-to-watch-final-four
-game
*	https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42EbZo9WZ8Y

<mailto:brutzman at nps.edu>

Watkins 270,  MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA  +1.831.656.2149

X3D graphics, virtual worlds, navy robotics, data
http://faculty.nps.edu/brutzman