[x3d-public] JinLOA4.x3d, Blender, ChatGPT work

Joseph D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Sat May 6 18:42:03 PDT 2023

Hi John,
To me, all that needs to be done for you to see what is happening is continuing the detail of rescaling the jin loa4 to ‘humanoid scale’ by computing the .02whatever x y z scaling done for the humanoid. This gives joint centers placed directly without need to scale the humanoid.
Now to vizualize the skeleton, put a sphere or diamond at 0 0 0 and at each joint center. I think you will find the 0 0 0 to be correctly placed.

Rescaling the geometry of this model is slightly more complicated because some of the segment geometry has a parent transform with a translation. In order to get the  geometry in skeleton space, I think to first do the rescaling on the IFS points. If none, or default parent transform, then that is all, the points will be drawn directly in skeleton space.
To work out any parent transform translation first rescale the translation value and use that to finally position the IFS points.
Now the points will be drawn directly in place with the skeleton.

When complete, may have to move the viewpoint, the character should be standing at the correct 0 0 0 facing +z looking just like it did before, but having advantage that it operates in the default parent space, which is same as default humanoid space, same as default skeleton space, same as default segment space, and same as default skin space.
So, when this rescaling is done everything is drawn directly in respective default space(s), which happen to also be same as default animation space.
Starting with a setup like this (everything authored in default space) makes it much easier when creating transportable animations and interactions.

Some authoring systems offer this with a zero button, where you get everything dragged around to correct location then you can tell it where 0 0 0 is then automagically gets rid of all the various translation, rotation, scaling operations otherwise used in the user code or under the covers to position various segment and skin geometries.

Thanks and Best,
Joe