[x3d-public] FBX to X3D

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 03:54:19 PDT 2023

About the Godot exporter ( https://godotengine.org/fbx-import/ ) using
Autodesk FBX SDK: Indeed it sucks, and they say it openly in their
docs. And this is a general problem with FBX. You can read FBX in 2
ways:

1. You use proprietary Autodesk FBX SDK

2. You reverse-engineer FBX and support only a subset of its features.

>From what I know, Godot developers explored various options to handle
FBX throughout Godot history. They tried to use original FBX2glTF,
Assimp, own code (see the link from
https://godotengine.org/fbx-import/ -- """Relying on reverse
engineering was attempted in the past, but it turned out to be too
unreliable."""). Their conclusions after user feedback was
unfortunately that approach AD 2 will never be good enough for users.

So the AD 1, while it relies of prioprietary Autodesk FBX SDK and it
sucks, seemed the only option to have Really Good Support for FBX.

Blender's FBX importer uses reverse-engineering. But if it works for
you (for the features you need), naturally go ahead and use it.

The bottom line is: stay away from FBX as much as you can. Use X3D,
use glTF, use open 3D standards. (But I guess you have no choice,
hence this thread...)

Note that tovrmlx3d doesn't generate H-Anim nodes. Neither does
Blender. But I understand you will "sum up" existing H-Anim nodes into
some content converted from FBX / glTF.

Regards,
Michalis