[x3d-public] X3D 4.0 update to XML encoding has commenced, comments welcome

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Sat Feb 24 09:45:11 PST 2024

Hello everyone.  The X3D Standards working group continues working quietly
and persistently in the background.

Dick Puk and I are happy to announce availability of an updated draft for
X3D 4.0 XML Encoding.

*	Extensible 3D (X3D) encodings - Part 1:  XML encoding
*	ISO/IEC 19776-1:202x
*	https://web3d.org/specifications/X3Dv4Draft/ISO-IEC19776-1v4.0-WD1
*	Screen capture PDF of today's cover page attached

All document changes to this Working Draft (WD) ISO Standard are visible to
Web3D Consortium members in github version control:

*
https://github.com/Web3DConsortium/X3D/tree/master/ISO-IEC19776/ISO-IEC19776
-1/ISO-IEC19776-1v4.0/ISO-IEC19776-1v4.0-WD1

We are now working on reconciling the carefully collected set of
specification issues and comments available at

*	Web3D Consortium Mantis Bug Tracker
*	https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view_all_bug_page.php
*	Around 40 active Mantis issues are listed in attached .csv
(comma-separated value) text file

The X3D XML Encoding is part of a family of specifications, illustrated at:

*	X3D Graphics Standards Relationships
*
https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3dGraphicsStandardsRelationships.png
*
https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3dGraphicsStandardsRelationships.pdf

which are all getting recentered on our new many-years-in-the-making
International Standard (IS)

*	X3D 4.0 Architecture
*	https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3Dv4/ISO-IEC19775-1v4-IS

Dick and I expect to move fairly swiftly through the current set of
comments, hopefully finishing in March.  After that we will pursue X3D file
formats using ClassicVRML, Compressed Binary, and JSON encodings.  All X3D
file encodings are designed to with sufficient expressive power to capture
all functionality defined in our language-neutral abstract-functionality
standard, the X3D 4.0 Architecture.

All comments are always welcome.  The best way to influence our efforts is
to perform an initial review now, and let everyone know what you think.

Have fun with .x3d XML graphics!  8)

Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br        brutzman at nps.edu

Watkins 270,  MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA    +1.831.656.2149

X3D graphics, virtual worlds, navy robotics https://faculty.nps.edu/brutzman