[x3d-public] GReat Demo and Learning Tools

Joe D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 3 19:10:34 PDT 2024

* Authoring collaboration progress. Wanted to report back regarding a significant new online capability:

* X_ITE Playground not only offers live editing of an X3D model in a Web browser, but now offers alternative choices for XML or ClassicVRML or JSON file encodings. X3D is X3D is X3D…

* Joe and I had an excellent session modifying the JoeKick model, progressively modifying the model in all three encodings:

* X3D Example Archives: Humanoid Animation, Skin, Joe Kick
* This Joe model is a HAnim version 2 LOA-3 Humanoid with textured skin based on the original HAnim Specification and data from CAESAR models.
* https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/HumanoidAnimation/Skin/JoeKickIndex.html

* X_ITE Playground for Joe Kick
* https://create3000.github.io/x_ite/playground/?url=https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/HumanoidAnimation/Skin/JoeKick.x3d
* Selectable tab for encoding in upper-right corner: XML | VRML | JSON
* Direct editing in right-hand source (under any of these encodings) updates the animating X3D view a second later.
* Still gotta say: wow!

* Everyone should check it out, see for yourself. All you have to do is click the preceding link.

* This further allows an author to experiment in VRML or JSON syntax, then select the XML tab, copy/paste into an email, and send the result back for updating the version control.
* We did that, screen sharing – the NetBeans diff tools in X3D-Edit were great, all changes were easily inspected, and the canonicalized XML result can then update our version-control examples archive for simple scrutiny of changes. Boom presto.

* Improvements become quickly testable, easily shared by people working together, with archive updates also becoming easier too.
* Joe Kick index page, then select Version control link, then select History, then select a revision and scroll down to see each diff (color-coded deletions and additions)
* https://sourceforge.net/p/x3d/code/HEAD/tree/www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/HumanoidAnimation/Skin/JoeKick.x3d
* https://sourceforge.net/p/x3d/code/35642

More to come,
Joe