[Korea-chapter] [X3D] Agenda items for the Korea chapter meeting (Wed. 5:10pm PST / Thu 10:10am Korea)

Joe D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 11 17:10:26 PST 2009

> > 3. Physical units specification

Please let me use a minute to describe Joe's view on the Units
question and 3.3 solution.

To me, now, there is only one user-orented reason for this update to
add an optional Units respecifier.

The author wishes to enter coordinate values in the units of interest.
That is, if working in cm then instead of encoding the value as:
0.1 0.1 0.1
it would be written as:
1 1 1
In this case the author would also include the Units statement,
declaring
cm 0.1
to alert the browser that the file is to be interpreted as if the
numeric values relating to length are included in cm rather than m.

This provides a solution in the many situations where it is more
accurate and convenient to maintain data in certain numeric units of
resolution different than the X3D defaults.

When the browser reads this file, it would render the geometry as if
the scene was contained by scale 0.1 0.1 0.1 and render it as expected
in relation to other geometry in the scene.

Important to note that this is sort of a phantom scaling because files
included by Inlines are not affected by their parent file Units
declaration, but only by any declaration in each individual file.

The author's intent and the functionality is maintained. Consistent
use of Units declarations, even if defaut units are used, will solve
many longstanding authoring problems encountered when combining scenes
from several sources.

Treating each file completely independently according to its Units
specifier allows this to work without producing a cascading
inheritance effect.

So, the key elements are:

1 Units statement per file.
Parent file Units does not affect sibling files.
Browser rescales file contents for rendering according to declared
Units.
 .
It may be important at some point in time for the author to become
aware that regardless of the convenience, there is a real world out
there and that regardless of the need, when the standard browser is
working, the SAI data will be probably be scaled in default units of
the scenegraph for rendering. Without allowance for the equipment
resolution, errors similar to rounding may occur. A problem is keeping
the units in terms of the author's intent when serializing the final
combined scene. When simulating at the extremes, we may need to make
special arrangements with our browser core programmer.

"7.2.5.5 UNIT statement
"UNIT statements contained in X3D files referenced by Inline nodes or
contained in X3D files consisting of EXTERNPROTO bodies shall be used
to convert effected units to the base units of the root file before
the referenced X3D file content is incorporated in the X3D world."

So, I read this to say that if the root (parent) world is in cm and
the Inline file is in cm, there would be no conversion.

I hope this helps.
Thank You and Best Regards,
Joe