[Korea-chapter] [X3D] Agenda items for the Korea chapter meeting (Wed. 5:10pm PST / Thu 9:10am Korea)

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Wed Oct 21 18:28:47 PDT 2009

We met today 21 October 2009.  Attendees are Myeong Won Lee,
Gun Lee, Dick Puk and Don Brutzman.  Also briefing at the end was
Kwan-Hee Yoo(Chungbuk National University, Korea).

Myeong Won Lee wrote:
> The following are the agenda items for today's Korea chapter meeting,
> Oct. 14 (Wed) 5:10pm (PST)/
> Oct. 15 (Thu) 9:10am (Korea). Please provide updates if any amendments
> or additions are noted.
>

> 1. Projective Texture Mapping (Kwan Hee Yoo, Chungbuk National U.)
>
>  >It is important to have dialog on the X3D mailing list and during the
>  >working group meetings.  We will try to cover this at the meeting
>  >next week, hopefully someone from Korea can attend.

First, it is very important that these documents get posted to the website.

I don't think the attachments are likely getting through by email.
Looking at the email archive shows that many things are scrubbed.
http://web3d.org/mailman/private/x3d_web3d.org/2009-October/thread.html

Please ensure that the presentations are available in the Web3D Chapter
document folder, online for members at

	http://www.web3d.org
	Member Login
	Post or Download Documents in Members Working Group Folders
	Korea Web3D Forum

Gun Lee will help upload these many documents.  If there are still upload
problems, then webmaster Leonard Daly is the person to help fix them.

> We have missed participating in the WG meeting.
> Kwan Hee also defined a new node for PTM in his draft submitted to the
> X3D WG by email.
> It is necessary to review his draft, and to decide whether to include
> the node definition for PTM.
> His draft is attached.

Thank you for posting the specification draft.  Please ensure that it is
in the online document directory as listed in previous step.  It is a
good addition to the slideset that is already there explaining and
showing how things work.

2 questions:  do your three proposed texture nodes work similarly to the
other X3D texture nodes with scope restricted to the geometry in the
same Shape node.  For example:

	Shape
		Geometry node
		Appearance
			Material
			Texture node

Hopefully the functionality DEF and USE are the same, for example
the same OrthoTexture might have a single DEF and 2 USE instances
to apply to the geometry found in 3 different Shape nodes.

(I think the answers are yes, but will let Kwanhee Yoo answer by email.)

> 2. Physical units specification
>
>  From the last minutes of Korea chapter,
>
>  >I will add these to the version-control X3D Basic examples under a new
> directory
>  >called Units.  These will appear at
>  >
>  >http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/Units
>  >http://x3d.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/x3d/www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/Units
>
>  >
>  >Next steps on examples:
>  >- Myeong Won will get a sourceforge.net account
>  >- Don will insert meta tags for document information, and add the
> examples
>  >to the regular distribution
>  >- Later we will work on a v3.3 X3D schema addition
>

> A. Sourceforge.net opened (username: mwlee)

The X3D project on sourceforge is available at

	http://sourceforge.net/projects/x3d

You are now added as a member.  To update, please

	check out subversion archive for X3D Basic,
	developer instructions are at
	https://sourceforge.net/projects/x3d/develop

so the directory you want is

cd C:\www.web3d.org\x3d\content\examples\Basic
svn co https://x3d.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/x3d/content/examples/Basic Basic

	stay in directory PhysicalUnits, let us edit/add/replace those files

	inspectable versions are available at
http://x3d.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/x3d/www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/

There are many online tutorials for using subversion, we can send something
if you like.

> B.In the unit WD, 9.4.2 Inline states "Any UNIT statements contained in
> the file being inlined are ignored"
>
> It is recommended that this is replaced with the following:
> "It is necessary to convert the units specified in the inlined file into
> the units in the first file
> by the conversion factor. To be able to compare units specified objects
> with their relative
> scales is an advantage of using units. Otherwise, the unit statements
> need not change scenes
> at all, and then they became useless, and give only units information
> per file like comments."

This issue and the draft specification prose is being discussed on the
x3d mailing list.

> C. Korea chapter wiki page PDF upload error
>
> The PDF files were not successfully uploaded to the Korea chapter wiki page.
> Attached are the following materials about physical units:
> - Draft file for the physical units specification (2008.4.25)
> - Presentation file for the physical units at SC24 Monterey meeting
> (2008.06.23)
> - Presentation file for the physical units at Web3D Seoul meeting
> (2008.12.16)
> - Presentation file for Unit Spec for X3D at SC24 London meeting (2009.
> 7. 7)
> - Discussion file for X3D units examples at 2009 SIGGRAPH (2009.8.5)

These will be uploaded as described in paragraph 1 above.

> 3. Mixed reality functions (Gun Lee, ETRI)
>
>  >He is looking for a C or C++ open-source codebase to implement his
>  >work.  I recommended consider FreeWrl since it is well supported,
>  >well documents, and maintained by a Web3D member organization that
>  >is diligent about conformance.
>  >
>  >http://www.crc.gc.ca/FreeWRL
>  >http://freewrl.sourceforge.net
>
> Gun has also defined the mixed reality functions as new nodes.
> It is necessary to review this and decide if these node definitions are
> appropriate for including the new functions in X3D.

Unfortunately Gun has not yet received comments about these nodes.
He would like to begin implementing them, likely using CyberX3D for C++.
http://www.cybergarage.org/vrml/cx3d/cx3dcc/index.html
He will contact the owner, Satoshi Konno in Tokyo.

Johannes and Yvonne, Fraunhofer has some similar nodes.  Have you
you looked at this?  Should there be a conference to discuss the
nodes before he implements?  Please advise what you think.

Feedback from other browser implementers is welcome also.  Please advise.

> 4. Other standardization items proposed
>
>    - H-Anim motion data definition (Myeong Won Lee, Web3D Seoul meeting,
> Dec. 16, 2009)

We will discuss this during the next meeting.

>    - Synthetic data modeling and communication (Sang Won Ghyme, Web3D
> Seoul meeting, Dec.16, 2009, and SC24 London meeting, Jul. 7, 2009)

This proposal is now withdrawn.

>    - Mobile X3D functions (Gun Lee, SC24 London meeting, Jul. 7, 2009)

Actually this was by Myeong Won.  We will review this at the next meeting.

> 5. Web3D Seoul meeting schedule for December
>

>  >Hopefully I will visit ETRI in Daejeon on Thursday afternoon.
>  >After that I will move to Chinhae on Thursday night.
>  >     Dec. 11 (Fri)  other organization (?)
>  >Korea Naval Academy in Chinhae

I plan to visit both ADD and Korea Naval Academy with Dr. Kim.

> I heard from Byounghyun that the organization is ADD, not Korea Naval
> Academy, and that Dr. Youngjoo Kim will host. Then, the schedule in
> Korea is as follows:
>

> Dec. 7 (Mon)
> AM: Web3D Korea Chapter Meeting - Proposals discussion (Seoul Palace Hotel)
> PM: Web3D Korea Chapter Meeting - Proposals discussion (Seoul Palace Hotel)
>
> Dec. 8 (Tue)
> AM: Discussion Web3D Working Groups (Seoul Palace Hotel)
> PM: Seminar hosted by Prof. Jounghyun Gerard Kim (Korea Univ., Seoul)
>
> Dec. 9 (Wed)
> AM: Move to Daejon (Daejon) (Yousung Hotel, Daejon)
> PM: KAIST hosted by Prof. Soonhung Han (Daejon)
>
> Dec.10 (Thu) AM: KAIST (Daejon) (Yousung Hotel, Daejon)
> PM: M&S Center of ADD hosted by Soonhung Han and Chang Moon Myung
>        ETRI
>
> Dec. 11 (Fri)  ADD in Chinhae hosted by Youngjoo Kim at NPS

I will ask Youngjoo about hotel there and about ETRI visit.

> Dec. 12 (Sat) to Seoul (Seoul Palace Hotel)
>
> Dec. 13 (Sun) from Seoul to Singapore

Yes this is all correct.  Thank you.

Our next meeting Korea chapter meeting is planned for
Oct. 14 (Wed) 5:10pm (PST) / Oct. 15 (Thu) 9:10am (Korea)

Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br           brutzman at nps.edu
Watkins 270   MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA  work +1.831.656.2149
X3D, virtual worlds, underwater robots, XMSF  http://web.nps.navy.mil/~brutzman