[Korea-chapter] [X3D] Agenda items for the Korea chapter meeting (Wed. 5:10pm PST / Thu 9:10am Korea) - absolute units

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Thu Oct 15 08:57:22 PDT 2009

Justin Couch wrote:
> Don Brutzman wrote:
>  > umm that would be nice, and agreed with your intent, but we will probably
>  > need to put some words in there to ensure that there is no
>  > misunderstanding.
>
> The way I see it is that the units declaration in the file says "I am in
>   kilometres" so everything presented in that file will be in that units
> group. So anywhere that you have an Import statement or use of an
> externproto, the interfaces will automatically be in that units rather
> than in whatever they use internally. In doing so, the need to specify
> how and what scaling occurs between the various files (or really
> execution contexts if we want to be X3D-specific terminology) is
> automatically and implicitly defined by the spec. Yes the browser has to
> do some multiplies or divides between the two files as the proposed spec
> words talk about, but there shouldn't be a need to call that out
> directly in spec language. Though, I guess, given that we use Examples
> all through the spec, showing something like that may be useful.

again agreed.  we'll keep working on it.  your review of spec prose later
will also be helpful.  thanks.

Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br           brutzman at nps.edu
Watkins 270   MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA  work +1.831.656.2149
X3D, virtual worlds, underwater robots, XMSF  http://web.nps.navy.mil/~brutzman